Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ice cream, anyone?

Do you make your own ice cream?  I never would have considered making ice cream myself had I not read about a cheese ice cream recipe a few days ago. You see, cheese ice cream is very popular in the Philippines and on our recent visit, it was on my son's checklist of "must food to eat" while there.  Unfortunately, he did not get the opportunity to do so.  While reading the recipe, I realized that ice cream was a great way to use leftover egg yolks (which I always have from making lot of Swiss meringue buttercream). So last Sunday, without any delay, off I went to get an ice cream maker.

The first flavour I tried was green tea.  My daughter and I love green tea but I knew it wasn't going to be well received by everyone in the family. I chose that flavour because I had matcha powder that was nearing it's expiration date. Might as well use it.


It was great but as expected, my three sons didn't quite like it.  I promised I would make something else the next day. (Actually, it was just an excuse for me.  I was too excited about using my new toy again!)



Who wouldn't like Cookies and Cream?  Surely, not my kids!  This ice cream was eggless and so very easy to make.  The Oreo cookies were from an opened box that no one wanted to finish off for sometime now.

It was gone in a flash!  My husband said it tasted just like commercial ice cream but I quickly dismissed him. saying that I didn't want it to taste that way. It's supposed to taste homemade!

You wouldn't think I'd just stop at two, would you?  Today, it was classic chocolate's turn.


This one was a little grainy as I didn't quite melt the chocolate properly. I think I was over excited to get it done.  Nobody seemed to care though.

Ok, ok, I'll stop at three for now.  I don't want my family to get sick of ice cream.  Besides, we've had some reprieve from the scorching weather that has been plaguing Melbourne for the last two weeks or so.  Cooler weather means we don't need to find ways to cool down as much too.

I am just so glad I tried ice cream making. I never would have thought I would ever do so.  It's so fun, it's like magic happening before your very eyes.  And the possibilities are endless. I'm sure I will get to make that cheese ice cream one day soon.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought a simple, inexpensive one. It does the job but I don't know if it will last many uses. In the future, I hope to get the KitchenAid attachment for my mixer. That is, if my passion for ice cream making continues!

      Delete