Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Accident

When I was young, people always told me I had beautiful eyelashes.  They were long and curly, just like my mother's.

But now, those eyelashes are gone....(

Well, there's about 1/8" length left.

I burned them last Sunday.

Along with seven of my fingers and some of my hair.

The culprit?


I've done this before with success.  Refilling a gas lighter.  Unfortunately, it went terribly wrong this time.  Entirely my fault though.  The gas refill cannister specifically warned to "keep away from sources of ignition".  I pressed the trigger and there they were...a sudden burst of big flames right in my hands and in front of my face.

At first, I was more worried about my hair rather than my hands.  But after a while, my hands really began to hurt and I became more aware of what had actually happened to me.  I did the necessary first aid on myself, went to the doctor the next morning and got myself a haircut too.  Today, my fingers are quite sore because the blisters are starting to pop (sorry, I don't mean to sound gross!) and they now look really burnt, the skin being greyish and leathery.  But I am ok.  I do have a high threshold for pain. See, I can still type!

Thank God.  It could have really been a lot worst.  I am still alive and my hands are still working.  And yes, I know my hair and eyelashes will grow back soon.

Despite the injuries, I had to go on with my baking.  I had cupcakes to make for this nice, elderly lady from the retirement village.  It's her 76th birthday today.  I would never let her down, even with bandaged fingers.


It was a challenge and I worked slower than usual but I got it done.

I am also thankful this incident happened after the wedding I mentioned in my last post.  If not, it would have been a disaster.  I don't think I could have decorated a cake in my condition.

Three layered 6" red velvet cake with gumpaste bride and groom.



Red velvet cupcakes to match.  I loved how elegant these cupcakes looked!
Here are the cakes and cupcakes in the 5-tiered stand at the wedding reception.  I didn't do the arrangement but as pedantic as I am, I wished I had done it myself.


Please pray my hands will get better soon.  My world doesn't stop just because of this setback, you know.  I know you mothers out there understand what I mean. So many responsibilities and of course, more cakes to bake! 

Enjoy the rest of your week.  Stay safe!

11 comments:

  1. Yikes! That sounds awful and I hope you heal soon. But the cake and cupcakes do look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg Corinne, good to hear that you are ok so far...

    you did a wonderful job on the cakes and cupcakes... I just love your creations...

    one more time I wish there would be a taste and smell button on the internet...

    XOXO

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way... I changed my blogname... do you recognize me anyway? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrea, I do know you. From Germany, right? Thanks so much for being a loyal follower.

      Delete
  4. Your cupcakes look as delicious as ever. I am so glad that you were not injured more seriously. As a mom of three little girls, I hope your hands heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear...how nasty that was..I sure hope your hands heal real quick and den't give you too much grief...lovely wedding cake well done..and them cupcakes look mighty devine,cheers Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! Corinne, what a terrible thing to happen. I'm glad you're okay and can still work with your hands. I hope you continue to feel better and heal fast. Your cake and cupcakes look great as usual. I salute your determination and endurance. We'll be praying for your quick recovery. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you are doing a little bit better now...

    ont he other hand... maybe it is a sign to slow down on your working pace... taking time out... just for yourself... sometimes I think why does this happen... what will Jesus and God tell me...

    we just received a diagnose for one of our kids... and you think why us... on the other hand it explains so much the condition in school... so i think it is ok and it will be ok in a couple years...

    take good care of yourself and just rely on Jesus...

    XOXO

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Exactly what I was thinking...that the Lord is trying to slow me down.

      Hope your kid is ok.

      Delete
  8. Goodness Corinne, so sorry to hear about the accident. I pray that you feel better. Just only now I got to visit your blog. You have done a tremendous job eventhough your hands were hurting....so proud of you.

    Take care of yourself

    Geet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take care corrine... just want to tell.that we have lots of similarities...from swiss.meringue buttercream, joyofbaking, chiffon cakes, rose beranbaum, and the style.of.decorating as well.. i dont spend much but if i like.something too, all common sense go ou the window. One more, i really want to.learn how to sew... now i.want to perfect my macarons! Aside from perfecting my cake flavours! Enjoy life! I love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete