Saturday, October 15, 2011

Birthdays

Matthew, my youngest son, turned 10 last October 12.  This year, we decided to celebrate his birthday simply with an all-kids, all-boys party.  Matthew only invited 7 of his closest school friends.  They played fun games and as always, had a homemade pinata filled with sweet treats.  It was so much easier to have a small party like this. Aside from the fact that I did not have to prepare any kind of fancy food, I know that Matthew enjoyed it more to have his friends around rather than us inviting our own adult friends over.

Red velvet cake filled and frosted with vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream.

For the occasion, I chose to make a photo cake.  I ordered the edible icing image from a reputable cake decorating shop.  It cost me $25 (including postage) for this 7.5" round image alone!  Expensive, isn't it?  I figured, since I was making the cake myself anyway, it was still worth the expense.  I've purchased edible icing images before for half the price but the quality wasn't all that good.  This particular photo of Matthew was printed really clearly and I did not have a problem removing the image from its backing paper.


Now, I'm really contemplating on buying a printer, edible inks, and frosting sheets so I can print these images myself.  I've already done my research and I've learned that it really doesn't cost that much to invest in these things. So hopefully very soon, I will have a new toy to play with!

There are a couple more birthdays today that we've been invited to and for which, I was asked to make cakes too.

A Power Ranger-themed cake for a 4 year old boy...

Mocha chiffon filled and frosted with coffee Swiss Meringue buttercream.

Gumpaste red power ranger topper.

And also one for a first birthday...

Chocolate chiffon filled and frosted with vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream.

I would say this cake is the one I am most happy with and proud of to date!  I based the topper from the design of the birthday invitation (which also had a photo of the birthday girl wearing this polka dot pinafore). I particularly like the birds holding the candle and the balloon.

Cake topper made from gumpaste.

Well, so much for birthdays.  Until the next one comes along.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Matthew! .... tita Susan C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your son! And that cake topper with the chicks in hats was SUPER cute!

    ReplyDelete