Monday, November 8, 2010

Work in progress

As I mentioned in my previous post, my niece, Claire, is turning 13 soon (on Saturday, the 13th, to be exact).  Her mom has been organizing for her a surprise masquerade themed party.  She has requested me to make the birthday cake, if possible, to coincide with the said theme.  Having no idea what to do (like always), where else can I turn to but the web?  It's amazing what one can learn so quickly from the internet. 

Currently on my work table are these....waiting to harden and dry...

The green lustre dust is not so obvious in the photo, but in person, especially under the lights, the mask has a pearly glow.

Except for the skewers, everything else is edible.  Those little shiny beads are cachous.
Should I attach feathers to the mask?  My daughter reckons I shouldn't bother, but then, all the masquerade mask photos I see on the net have feathers.  What do you think? 

I'm still planning how to lay these gumpaste toppers out on the cake.  I'm actually a little stressed out cause I have two other cakes to make for that same day plus it's my husband's birthday on the 13th as well.  I might not have time to make him a cake!

Fingers crossed, hopefully, I will get everything done.  Till then, have a great week ahead!

2 comments:

  1. I'd go with no feathers. It looks amazing as it is, and sometimes less really is more. Good luck. You've made an incredible start!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the mask looks fabulous as it is! You are really doing a wonderful job! Good luck on getting everything done!

    ReplyDelete