Saturday, September 11, 2010

CLASSIC Mini Messenger Bag

I remember hearing it on Oprah, in one of the makeover shows. They were discussing about bags and one of the fashion experts said that a printed bag for everyday use is a big 'no-no'. I'm no fashion-conscious person and have definitely been using printed bags that do not even match my clothes.

When the zipper on my everyday bag broke a couple of weeks ago, I knew I had to replace it with a solid/neutral-coloured bag. I didn't have any fabric on hand and put off making a new bag until I saw this fabric yesterday, on sale at $4 for a 2 meter bundle.

Black with CLASSIC written all over it.  The colour is actually a much deeper black in person.
Classic...but you might also say, boring.  I didn't even know what kind of fabric it was.  It's silky smooth but thick. I was also unsure if it was appropriate material.  But I had a bag idea in my mind and so went ahead and purchased it just the same.  A few hours later, I proudly had this...

My mini messenger bag!
Front view, flap open, showing zip top closure and two pockets

Inside, with pre-quilted lining (leftover from this project)
The difference with this design and the original mini messenger bag is that I used an all-purpose zipper instead of an open-end one. The zipper is 10" long and the end is just covered with a fabric tab. I didn't have to make a new strap...the long strap here was saved from an old bag.

Close-up of tab
The great thing about using black (aside from the fact that it will match anything) is that all my sewing imperfections are not obvious! It's been a long time since I last made a messenger bag so my skills are definitely a little rusty. Overall though, I am really happy with what I've accomplished. And since there's a lot of this fabric left, I can foresee more bags to come. Yay!

Have a good weekend!

5 comments:

  1. This bag is gorgeous, your workmanship is top notch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know i had totally forgot about your mini messenger bags... this one is my fav! Great craftmanship...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, I might have to make one of these for a friend one day....it's on my 'LIST' lol Hugs Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! that is one of my all time favorite patterns. you are one of the best pattern designers selling on etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bag is the bomb! I just brought a laptop which is on it's way. And I plan on making a computer bag with is pattern.

    Thanks Alot! :-)

    ReplyDelete