Thursday, August 14, 2008

Meet my Lilly Lamb

I want you all to meet Lilly Lamb...

Polar fleece body, cotton fabric scraps for legs and limbs

Felt face, embroidered nose and mouth, button eyes
Isn't she sweet? Not perfect but, nevertheless, still sweet. Purchased the pattern for this softie from Bit of Whimsy Dolls, an Etsy shop run by stay at home mum, Sarah. Great project for a beginner like me. The instructions are very clear and well-written, with lots of supporting photos. What's even greater is that an online video tutorial for this doll is available for viewing over at You Tube! You can watch it here if you'd like to...

Part 1


Part 2


Part 3


Two things I would like to modify with the method next time. Firstly, I would do the face embroidery before assembling the doll. That seems a whole lot easier, doesn't it? That would eliminate having to sew through the stuffing and pulling those knots in. Secondly, I would try to find an alternative way of closing up the doll after stuffing. Sarah's method is a little bit tricky. I really do not like exposed stitching, especially because I can't stitch perfectly straight!

I certainly have still a lot to learn...I am starting to get a hang of it so you will most likely see more of this softie stuff in here in the coming days...bag-making will take a back seat for a little while...

1 comment: